This application is closed on 7TH OF FEBRUARY.
THE NATURE OF US – SOBIESZEWO ISLAND CONFERENCE (GDANSK, PL)
19-21st May 2022
A meeting point for innovating performing arts and science
An Open Call for Czech, Hungarian, Polish and Slovak Delegates: Dance and Performance Makers, Cultural Workers, Arts Writers, and Scientists
The Nature of Us is a joint project of 4 Central European organizations: Bazaar Festival (CZ), PlaST (SK), Polka Dot Foundation (PL) and Workshop Foundation (HU), supported by the International Visegrad Fund. Open to new formulas in innovating performing arts practice and presentation in the context of serious environmental changes, The Nature of Us is committed to gradual change of the social environment and perceptions of Central European identity in relation to the natural world.
The project’s goal is to create a new situation where performing arts professionals can move forward in mutual dialogue with natural and social scientists and work in a way that meaningfully addresses their audiences’ concerns about our identity in relation to our environment. The project so far encompassed an Opening Lab in Prague and 4 artistic research sessions where time was given for 4 artists to research, to explore potential dialogue with scientists and test the creative work that came out of these experiences.
At the Sobieszewo Island Conference (Gdansk, PL), the project’s four invited performing arts creators currently developing new work and natural or social scientists working with them will share their experiences to date, with an emphasis on chosen approaches. It’s an opportunity for all delegates to work together to think outside the box, take part in panel discussions with artists, experts and researchers, follow diverse formats of workshops, site specific and participatory events, interactive walks and exploration of Sobieszewo Island and get a deeper understanding of our project’s artistic research sessions. If funding allows, different guest artists from the region will present already existing performances on the natural world.
The location’s natural surroundings are meaningful: included in Polish nature protection programs Natura 2000 and Protected Landscape Area; the widespread natural land and seascapes with visible traces of human interference provide context for discussions on maintaining ecological balance with active care for the natural environment and development.
Creative meetings will take place partially in the Old Smokehouse venue near a Bird Reserve, at local partner venues like the Gdańsk Archipelago of Culture, and last but not least – in the open air.
The AIMS of the conference are to:
- explore within interdisciplinary groups new ways of communicating through the innovating performing arts,
- present approaches developed by the artists invited to the artistic research sessions
- provide participants with conditions to meaningfully reflect on the complex themes concerning our natural world through the arts
- trigger future new collaborations between innovating performing arts and science,
The long-term goal of the project is to introduce new models and roles in the innovating performing arts in a changing World, with an overall approach to creating a sensitive and responsible communities.
We look forward to applications from those WHO:
- are open to working in participatory ways,
- are proficient in a subject that can be related to the themes of the Nature of Us project,
- are curious about interdisciplinary creative research,
- are working and living in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland or Slovakia
- are able to be present during the whole event (preferred arrival: 18th May, departure: 21st May)
The conference will be conducted in English.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
- ground transportation from a Central European destination to and from Sobieszewo Island up to 120 EURO total maximum per person (arrival: 18th May. departure: 21nd May),
- free shared accommodation with meals on Sobieszewo Island,
- free accreditation and attendance of all conference events.
WHAT WE ASK FROM THE DELEGATES?
- to participate actively in all programmes of the conference,
- to write about experiences and thoughts after the conference, which will be shared on The Nature of Us blog and possibly in an e-publication,
- to fill out a simple questionnaire to evaluate the conference.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO APPLY?
FILL OUT THIS FORM in ENGLISH.
DEADLINE: Application will close on 6th February 2022 at midnight.
Decisions will be announced by: 21st February 2022.
More info at www.natureofus.art; firstname.lastname@example.org
The selection will be made by the representatives of the 4 organizations.